Apr 18, 2010

Egg shell seedlings

Planting seeds in egg shells is fun and eco-friendly. I will post another photo in a few weeks, when my seeds have sprouted.

First, prepare your egg shells. Shells should be broken carefully at one end, keeping at least half of the shell intact. Rinse with water and set aside to dry.

When you're ready to plant, put your shells in a carton, and fill each shell with a high quality soil. I used organic seed starting mix. Put a seed in each shell, and a small amount of water. Be careful not to over water.

When the seedlings are ready to be planted in the garden or containers, the shells can be planted with them. Crack each shell before planting so the roots don't get trapped.
The shell will gradually compost in the soil, and provide nutrients to your growing plants.

This is a fun activity for children, they can grow their own little gardens while learning about caring for the earth.

If you have an eco-friendly garden idea, comment here or get in touch with me! I will be posting more ideas in the future.

4 comments:

barbie said...

that's very cool! thanks for sharing!

thea said...

oh wow! How cute are they??! I've always wanted to plant things in eggshells... I have spring jealousy!!

thea.
xx

Shawna Coronado said...

What an awesome idea!
Love it!

Amanda S said...

Wow, never thought of that. Great idea.